Friday, October 9, 2009

Forever young

BBC4's been bombarding me with nostalgia lately. First there was Charlie Brooker's marvellous show about the history of computer games, part of a season called "Electric Revolution" apparently, which also included last night's Micro Men, an entertaining film about the rivalry between Clive Sinclair and Chris Curry. Last Friday saw a night of Madness - at this year's Glastonbury, a documentary from a few years ago, and Julian Temple's Liberty of Norton Folgate concert film. Plus there was a Douglas Adams doc.
It was 1982. The year I saw Hitch Hiker's on TV (and then read the books), the year I got my first album - Complete Madness - and the year I got my ZX81. That's my formative year right there. Well, OK, it would have been a better story if the first album had been Mahler, but still. Of course, Douglas is gone, and I don't write computer programs or play many games now... but somehow Madness have managed to tap into the original source again. Bless 'em.



No comments: