Saturday, July 17, 2010

Avoiding Inception


I'm really looking forward to seeing Inception but I probably won't get to it for a couple of weeks. And I want to see it on my own terms, which means significant portions of the Internet and other media are now temporarily closed off to me. One of the reasons The Matrix impressed me so much is that I had no idea what it was going to be - didn't know much about it, apart really from "it's supposed to be good". There were no expectations to be met or disappointments to be avoided. Unfortunately the world and her uncle are keen to talk about Inception and tell me what I should think about it before I come within 5 miles of a cinema. I don't want to know. I have a rough idea of what might be the general basic concept, and I know there's a good cast, and that's it. I don't want to know if it's rubbish or the best film ever or the best film of the summer or the worst film of the summer or the most overhyped piece of crap since Avatar or the most staggering work of genius since The Dark Knight or a bit meh or it's got a surprise ending or the surprise ending is stupid or the CGi is crap or the acting is rubbish or it's just a rip-off of The Matrix or it will leave me in floods of tears and deserves at least fifty Oscars and/or Razzies. Just leave me the fuck alone. Why in the name of arse do you think I want to hear your opinion? Go away.

No comments: