Sunday, January 30, 2011

Aaarr Liszt lad!

In this week's listening queue is a Liszt recital by Lilya Zilberstein, first released by DG but purchased by me in its Australian Eloquence rerelease. Yes, this is Liszt year and I'm making an effort. But we're not here to talk about the music. What I want to know is, what on Earth was Chilu Tong, credited in the booklet with "art direction", thinking by having this image for the cover?

Is there a connection between Franz Liszt and pirates? I'm halfway through Alan Walker's 3-volume biography and I haven't come across one yet, though I suppose Liszt's piano playing style meant he shivered quite a few timbers in his day.
More worrying are the potential consequences of this picture for the music industry. I mean, if you like the disc, you'll subconsciously create positive associations between music and piracy. That's not what they want, is it?

3 comments:

Jason Walker said...

I think it's a reference to that whole Liszt-Somalia thing.

Nereffid said...

Holy shit, it's Alan Walker!

Oh... wait...

Jason Walker said...

Arrrr, Jim lad. (Tried to resist, failed miserably.)